Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Still Knitting Cables!

I'm having too much fun with cables!  And I still can't believe how easy it is to make them!

This hat for my husband is Robyn Devine's Travel Hat in Madeleinetosh Chunky in the El Greco colorway.  The yarn is a bit bulkier than the one called for, so this made a larger adult hat.


I've had some Malabrigo Mecha in Solis hanging around for awhile waiting for the perfect project and that turned out to be Jennifer Tallapeneni's Ropes and Ladders Scarf.  One skein made a shorter, neck warmer scarf.  I also added a mesh edging on both ends:  1 double crochet, 1 chain all the way across.



And I was just little too late finding Malabrigo's Hollyhock colorway ... it was discontinued.  I did however find a skein of Chunky in that gorgeous color and knitted a cable beanie (the pattern is from Knitting Bee in Portland, Oregon).  Unfortunately, it turned out a wee bit short for how I like to wear hats and I didn't have enough left for another row - yeah for crochet!!  I added a couple of rows of single crochet to the bottom and now it fits perfectly.  The size of hook I used did make it flare out a little when the hat is off, but when on my head there's no flare.  A smaller hook would take care of this, but then the crochet stitch size won't match the knitting stitch size.




If I can pull myself away from cables, the next step in my goal of stretching my knitting skills is colorwork - I have a fair isle tam pattern that's been calling to me!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment