Monday, May 12, 2014

Cactus Pincushion


Our prickly pear cactus is about done with blooming for the year - it's one of my favorite things to photograph.  There's always a lot of bird and bug activity around it!  I had been mulling over different ideas for a pincushion and while taking pictures it occurred to me that one based on a cactus would be perfect!  This one became a Mother's Day present for my busily quilting Mom!


Materials:
*small amount of two different fabrics - one in a plain green and one in a patterned green (fat quarters work well)
*about 1/2 yard lace
*two ribbon flowers - I used ready made ones from a craft store, but there are lots of tutorials for making your own
*stuffing
*small terra cotta pot - the one I used was 2 1/2 inches high with a 2 3/4 inch across top
*pattern found here (print in landscape)

Cut three cactus leaves from each of the two fabrics.  Add embroidery highlights to the patterned pieces and french knots to the plain pieces.  I used a velvet embroidery thread to replicate the fuzzy cactus thorns clusters.


Lay a piece of lace across the left edge of the right side of each plain piece.  Lay a patterned piece (right side down) on top of each and sew in a very narrow seam - about 1/8 inch.  Trim the ribbon even with the seams.


Turn right side out and press.


Pile up the three cactus leaves.  Play around with the arrangement in the pile to get the cactus sections where you want them.  Pin and sew down the center.



Stuff each of the cactus sections and whip stitch the bottom of each section closed.



Sew or hot glue two blossoms to the top.  You can hot glue the cactus into the pot or just stuff it in - this will give you a little storage space in the bottom.


Happy Creating!  Deborah

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love it!
    Thanks
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this tutorial. I'm gonna make one for me. Kisses from Venezuela.

    ReplyDelete