Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday Project - Fly Stitch


I've been having so much fun ice dyeing fabric that I'm starting to build up quite a stash!  One piece just begged to be embroidered - I could almost see what it would look like.  I needed a certain type of stitch to do a lot of fill-in work, though, so I turned to a stitch I seldom use, the fly stitch.  It's one I tend to forget about, but there's so much you can do with it.

 Start by bringing the needle up through the fabric.


Put the needle back down through the fabric even with where you came up.  Bring the needle back up through the fabric further down (how much further depends on how big you want your stitch to be), between the first two stitches.


Your stitch should look like this so far.


Secure the stitch by taking the needle back down through the fabric . . .


. . . to give you this stitch.


By securing the stitch further down, you can make a y shape - sometimes called a long tail fly stitch.


 It adds nice texture to large areas!


Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment