Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wednesday Sewing - Machine Embroidered Napkins


I'm still working at switching from paper napkins to cloth - I love the feel of the cloth, but I want to have some sort of design on them and it takes so long to do the hand embroidery.  And I am getting some ideas for printed napkins, but want to work on them a bit more.  I've been experimenting with layering some of the programmed in embroidery stitches on my machine, I've been inspired by the poppies and African daisies that are beginning to bloom in our yard, so I put them together!

First I sewed around the hemmed edges of the napkins (see this past post) with green thread using the feather stitch.


On top of that, I added a layer of orange thread using the star stitch.  I played with the width and length until I got a size that let the green feather stitch show through like leaves.


A simple idea, but I'm planning on having some fun with more designs!

And if you're interested, the spring flower table mat instructions can be found here.

Happy Creating!  Deborah

2 comments: