Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday Project - Scarves


Okay - so you made a scarf or two with the set of silk painting classes we just finished and now you're wondering what the heck to do with them!  I love working on silk, but I know it took me awhile to actually use it.

My favorite thing to do is to use scarves as the backgrounds for embroidered pieces or to quilt them to a backing - hand quilting works best for me with the slipperiness of silk.  Right now I'm working on the piece above, using one of the salt effect scarves and lots and lots of french knots.



I use Madeira's 4 strand silk embroidery thread, ordered from Jewels In Fiber.  Very quick service!

But some scarves just turn out as something you want to wear - like the shibori scarf I made in Class 6.  I've found several websites that have nice examples of tons of ways to wear scarves:

Scarf Queen's How to Tie a ScarfScarves.net's How to Tie Square Scarves, and Tasaram's Tying Head Scarves are three good ones.





Or we could all wear them like they did in the 60's and earlier and start a new fad!  I do like the look ...

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment