Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday Inspiration - Ed Bing Lee

Burger II, 2006.  Waxed linen, linen, cotton raffia, 5x5x5" and IcedCream Cone, 2006.  Waxed linen, cotton, 7x6x6"

I've had food on my mind a lot lately, so when I found pictures of Ed Bing Lee's work, it took me a minute realize what I was looking at.  The amazing works are made entirely of knotted cord - if I'd had any idea one could do this, I may have kept at macrame!

Ed uses materials such as linen, cotton, and raffia to create this fiber art.

HF Sundae II, raffia, synthetic linen, metallic thread, 11x5x5"
In this short video from the Pew Center for the Arts, Ed demonstrates and talks about how he works.



Ed Bing Lee from Pew Center for Arts & Heritage on Vimeo.

Take a look at Ed's website for more delicious looking art from his Delectable series and examples of his other work.  I especially like his Picnic works based on Georges Seurat's pointillism.

Picnic Coke, 1998.  Linen, embroidery floss, 16 x 19"

No comments:

Post a Comment